Naturally Colored and Naturally Plant Dyed Wool, Fiber and Fur

“Only he can understand what a farm is, what a country is, who shall have sacrificed part of himself to his farm or country, fought to save it, struggled to make it beautiful. Only then will the love of farm or country fill his heart.“ Antoine de Sainte-Exupery (1900-1944);(1900 1944); Aviator, Writer

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Woo Hoo I'm Phat




My Phebruary PhatFiber Sampler Box came today and I shoved the fudge down while I was rifling through my box. Delighted to find all kinds of fun samples, I was just itching to spin and knit. Too bad I had such a busy day that I haven't had a chance to get on the wheel, but maybe there is still hope, in the mean time - here is the pix of what I got in MY BOX!!











Today a baby for Toast





Toast who is the best friend and look alike of Melba. They are both a deep dark chocolate brown but Toast has a litle white bread on her head. There is a little story about these two girls. I fell in love at first site with Melba, she was gorgeously deep dark brown almost black and I had to have her. There was another in the pen with her that had the aforementioned white on her head and so I viewed her as somehow imperfect and I could live without her. I completed my purchase and was thrilled. Later on, the owners came and begged me to take the other one as they were getting ready to leave the show and did not want to take her home so they made me an offer I could not refuse. Now these girls were big even as babies and I didn't really want a lot of huge sheep (meaning big feed bills) running around but I consented and took them both home. They immediately became Melba and Toast and I soon discovered that Melba was crazy and Toast was my best buddy. Melba will finally eat out of my hand after all this time but only after her lamb was born. She will probably revert back to her wild roots as soon as she is out of the baby barn.

Meanwhile Toast who I just couldn't live without, is the sweetest, softest, most precious (albeit largest) ewe in the world. First through the gate and always by my side whenever I enter a pen or pasture - wanting a rubbing or a scratch. The Lord works in mysterious ways and Toast was my gift even though I didn't have the sense to know it. She had her first lamb today and she is proving to be a very mindful and loving mom as I expected. I will get the pictures posted of her little ram lamb soon.

I could live without Melba (except I love her gorgeous fleece) - anybody want a sheep that eats about 50 pounds a day, can run over you like a steamroller, can run away from you like a jack rabbit , can drag you across a field like a football player and looks like a bear?

No comments: